DealerRater is in business for dealers, not consumers. Sort of a Reputation Defender (reputation.com) for car dealers. They attempt to validate reviews, and let dealers harass you when you post something negative. When the collect positive reviews (real or bogus?) they can offer a scrolling feed for dealers to imbed on their web sites. The negative reviews are suppressed.

If dealers were concerned about negative reviews, they should be investing their money and effort into customer satisfaction (prevent bad reviews) instead of suppressing (censorship) of negative reviews. I know some bad reviews are from hotheads that may actually be in the wrong, but a business that helps harass people who've been legitimately mistreated is flat out wrong. DealerRater.com and Reputation.com are all about flooding the internet with redundant good reviews and attempting to flood out the bad reviews. In the end, neither can be trusted.

It's back to word-of-mouth, I guess.

Had an Experience with DealerRater?

Comments

Georgetown, Ontario, Canada #1325333

The worst dealers with the worst customer experience use Dealer Rater to put a smoke show up to cover their horrible true reviews, look at the dealers that have won their dealer of the year with Dealer Rater-pay them and they can make you look supreme. But there are no short cuts to properly servicing the customer. Avoid Dealer Rater Dealers.

This company allows people to call people derogatory names and falsely accuse people of being racisist I ask them to take it down they say they dont see a problem with that.

Looking for a quick fix to a problem or just revenge?Dealer Rater is in business for Dealer Rater.

It's the classic shakedown. Dealer Rater posts your angry, frustrated, I got ripped off, those horrible b@st@^ds! Dealer Rater buys top space on Google searches. Within hours of your angry post, Dealer Rater calls the dealer and offers to "help", for a rather costly, monthly fee.

When you Google a dealer for info, negative posts are displayed. The craziest "trolls" get top billing. The dealer's rating is one star, until the dealer submits to the extortionists. Once the dealer signs up and makes his monthly payments, he becomes "Certified".

Then the site is flooded with positive reviews, solicited from many sources. You don't even have to buy anything to post a negative or positive review. Anyone can post anonymously and there is no checking the validity of the "story", good or bad. So, a Certified dealer is paying for his reputation to be managed by Dealer Rater.

If you have a concern sometimes you can resolve things quickly by calling the owner or general manager of the business. They have a vested interest in their business and your satisfaction. Try not to be rude or insult people. It only makes things ugly.

If need be, call your local Auto Dealer Licensing authority.Most jurisdictions have very good consumer protection advocates.

And please remember, maybe you're angry and you may be exaggerating a little bit?

Ottawa, Ontario, Canada #962977

Completely agree. Just tried to post a negative experience with Hunt Club Nissan, and I've already been contacted by the sales manager who asked me to remove my post. After reading the many reviews on this dealership, I have a hard time believing they are written by actual consumers.

Just another YELP lol.

Saint Petersburg, Florida, United States #798767

How do we stop sites like this that are lies. A local dealer is using Dealerrater and lying customers.

Not cool

I would agree with the posts that DealerRater is a site for Dealers about Dealers.If you pay to belong, you have the ability to respond to negative reviews and more.

You don't pay, you don't get to respond, or use any of the positive reviews on your website.

How do I know? I'm a franchised Dealer (for over 20 years).

You want more detail on what a car Dealer is really like, check Yelp. Most Dealer's don't like Yelp.

I do. They don't help the business, and they don't post reviews base upon if you advertise with them. Proof - lot's of business's with bad reviews paying to lead customers to their bad reviews (I still don't understand why business's do that).

If you want to find out a little about a Dealer - stand in their service drive in the morning and watch the attitude of the customers who are dropping off their car. Talk to several about the Dealership.

Check the attitude of the employees. If the Dealer isn't treating the employees right, the employees won't treat the customer right either.

Don't think all Dealer's are bad - they aren't.

Some care very much about the long term success of their business and know that happy customers make that happen.

I noticed that JD Power is now involved in DealerRater.That should be a red flag!

Colorado Springs, Colorado, United States #741791

I agree wholeheartedly.I fell victim to this scam myself.

The experience I had at the dealer was exactly the opposite of what I expected.

I wrote a lengthy review of everything that had taken place (including my credit being ran after I had made it very clear I was pre-approved and didn't want another ding on my credit report) and my entire review was deleted.Don't fall victim to the DealerRater scam.

Corpus Christi, Texas, United States #680592

Would each of you like some cheese with your whine!You think dealers are bad, try dealing with a bunch of whiners like you.

Nothing is free in this world, and all posting are probably the first ones that say to the dealer when the deal is being written up, "I don't want to play games", but when the true, no-profit deal is presented to you, you balk back with disbelief, then you ask for more than off and more for your trade, outright robbery in any other retailers book.

I am glad you all have bad experiences from dealers, we can spot a *** a mile away, we just have the balls to treat you like one.Back to playing the world's smallest violin for ya'.

to true dealer Bethesda, Maryland, United States #681108

Thank you for this incredibly informative and helpful posting, Mr.Auto Salesman.

Many people would not feel the desire to nitpick and nickel-and-dime, and shop-it-around, and around, and around and around - If auto sales were not one of the last vestiges of screw-the-customer and take them for all that they're worth business left in the USA. Are you not feeling respected? As if everyone thinks that you are trying to ream them?

That's because you are.I would write, "Because many dealers are," but it's plainly obvious that you belong in the that category.